Dr. Cheryl Mathews
Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.)
Board Certified Coach
Dr. Cheryl Mathews, Your Guide
Desensitization Laboratory (LAB)
this is where things start to change
here's how it works
what is the LAB?
The LAB is where you take action. I'll guide you every step of the way.
practice anxiety management techniques
Practice anxiety management techniques in a very sensitive and safe LAB. Learn with others who share your fear. Take gradual steps that are manageable for you.
monitor your improvement
You'll receive an online survey to track your fear level. We'll track your fear level to make sure you're improving.
get personal guidance
I'll help you desensitize successfully and ensure you're using the techniques the right way. You can also talk to me via email, text, phone or Skype (or whatever works best for you).
Goal: Desensitize your nervous system and reduce your fear.
This is what you will learn in the Desensitization Lab:
- You’ll learn through personal experience that your anxiety increases and decreases in a predictable fashion.
- You’ll see for yourself that when you’re in speaking situations long enough your anxiety will dissipate naturally (on it’s own with no effort).
- You’ll find that anxiety goes down with repeated practice (as long as you’re practicing correctly).
- You’re going to have a chance to learn how to coach yourself more accurately before, during and after a speaking situation.
- We’ll dig into the self-defeating patterns that maintain your fear: Thinking social standards are more exacting than they really are, focusing on errors, severe self-evaluations, and avoidance habits.
- You’ll learn that things really can be different.
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn and desensitize with like-minded people who share your fear of public speaking.
The Desensitization Lab is a synchronous class using web conferencing (Zoom). Each session lasts 4 hours and we typically meet 4-hours each Saturday for 4 consecutive Saturdays. The exact dates and times are scheduled once enough people sign-up and a class officially forms. Each class typically is made up of 3-6 people. In the class, we talk about how anxiety has affected our lives, learn anxiety management techniques, and practice anxiety management techniques while speaking in front of the other LAB participants. The LAB includes 16-hours of face-to-face class on Zoom, a self-paced online course that provides the framework for the LAB, tons of additional information, successful exposure, opportunity to ask questions, and personalized help and coaching. The class fee can be paid online once the class is officially scheduled and before the class starts.
The LAB is transformative and life-changing, and can help you advance your career, your relationships and your self-esteem. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions.